Creating Inquirer Students Through the PYP – Part II

turnip picture
I wrote a blog post when we started to teach 5 year olds’ first PYP unit ‘Growing up’. You can click the title to read it. “Creating Inquirer Students Through the PYP – Part I
IMG_1533IMG_1525Before telling ‘The Great Big Enormous Turnip’ story, I bring flowers to the class and explain them plants “grow up,” just like people do. This is called a life cycle.We read the ‘The Great Big Enormous Turnip’ story to learn how a very small seed grows into a very big turnip. The story is repetitive so the kids learn the story easily.They are willing to act out the story using laminated story characters cards. As each character struggles to pull up the turnip, the kids invite the next character to help.

Seeds in eggshells

Seeds in eggshells

Kids plant seeds in eggshells to observe how seeds grow up. Planting seeds allow children to understand and have an idea for how things grow. Kids need to water and care for the plants so planting seeds encourage responsibility. They are very easy to grow and fun to watch for them.
tiny-seedWhen the kids wait for their seeds growing into plants, we read The Tiny Seed Story by Eric Carle to understand plant cycle. They learn what a seed is, how it grows, how it travels and what it needs to grow. After two weeks observation , they can sequence the life cycle of a plant.They create their mini books of the plant cycle based on the information they learn through ‘The Tiny Seed’ story and planting seeds activities.
You can play ‘Flower Pot Game’ with kids to reinforce their knowledge.When they play the game, they test how the flower grows and develop their strategic thinking and social skills.You can find more information about the educational games for kids when you read my post ‘Making Books and Educational Games’.
The winner is the player with the most leaves on their plant.

Here are some useful links:

*The Official Eric Carle Web Site
*Craft Junior: Plant Life: Mini Book
*Turnip Story Visual Aids
*Life Cycle Sequenceing Cards

3 thoughts on “Creating Inquirer Students Through the PYP – Part II

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Creating Inquirer Students Through the PYP – Part II | Neslihan Durmusoglu -- Topsy.com

2. Fantastic ideas!! I love Eric Carle’s books. I use most of them with my young learners! They are so resourceful and children learn so many things about life and of course are exposed to authentic language at the same time.